thinking about practice turkeys.

subtitle: getting my martha on.

it’s september, even if the weather outside would suggest otherwise. my husband & i have been talking about getting a dog for the past few months and it looks like this might be the month. with that in mind, we told my parents that we wouldn’t travel five hours with a puppy. no, siree. that’s as bad as driving five hours with a toddler.

so, thanksgiving is here. with them. and his parents. and sisters (plus a plus one). and the niece.* and the puppy, hopefully. we’re hosting. or at least, cooking.

and i’m completely okay with that. except, that i’ve never done it before. and consequently, i feel a bit like ellie in the episode of chuck where her boyfriend’s parents come for thanksgiving and she makes practice turkeys. i might make practice pies. but at the very least, i don’t think that six weeks in advance is too early to think about a thanksgiving menu. is it? okay, good.

i can’t be completely type-a here, because my mother is better at that than i am. it’s being hosted at my sister-in-law’s, because she has more space than we do. luckily, she is close enough that we could walk over there with a roasting pan, no sweat. but planning the menu? it’ll be all me. (and the decorations, too).

*the niece whom i adore, 85% of the time. the other 15% she is poorly mannered and a bit selfish. and she doesn’t listen. an intervention, in the style of my fair lady, may be necessary before thanksgiving with my ever so very proper parents.

image smitten kitchen

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s